Auditions allow us to create the best conditions for learning and to maintain our standards of excellence. All current and prospective members of OYO must audition. Main auditions are generally held mid-April through May each year. Auditions for select instruments to fill vacancies are also held in August.
Students will be heard by our orchestra conductors and should expect to learn the results of their audition by the end of June. Final orchestra placement is at the discretion of the orchestra conductors.
FALL AUDITIONS for the 2018-19 season will be held for select instruments on Tuesday, August 28 4:30-6:30pm at Varner Hall, Oakland University. Current instrument open positions are listed in the table below. Additional instruments may be added after August 3rd.
We offer four levels of orchestras
- For Studio Strings: 2-3 minutes showing technique and tone quality. The solo will be heard unaccompanied and does not need to be memorized.
- String, Philharmonia, and Symphony: 3 to 4 minutes showing technique and tone quality. The solo will be heard unaccompanied and does not need to be memorized.
- Percussionists: For pianists/percussionists, prepare a piano solo as well as a solo on your chosen percussion instrument. For percussionists only, prepare a solo on your chosen percussion instrument. You must supply your own mallets and sticks. Instruments will be available at the audition site.
- Multiple Instruments: Be prepared to perform a solo on each instrument you would like to play in the orchestra, and schedule an audition time for each instrument.
- Sight reading: All auditioning students will be asked to sightread. Materials will be chosen by the conductors.
- Scales are not required for any audition.
All auditions for 2018-19 have concluded. Please check back in March for next season’s audition schedule